As I was trying to fall asleep Friday night around 1 am, I laid awake wondering if hiking old rag would be worth waking up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning. Knowing that it was going to be a difficult hike, I was already kicking myself for deciding to go. The fact that I was out of breath by the time we got to the trail head made me worry that maybe I wasn't in shape enough to go all the way. I've done more difficult hikes before but I was a lot slimmer and I didn't have the humidity to deal with. We paced ourselves and it took about four hours to reach the summit. Climbing over the rocks was my favorite part. It's amazing how your feet can stick to the rock as you pull yourself up. I always think my feet will slip but somehow they stay in place. The one thing I learned on this hike is that you can push your body to go so much further than you thought was possible. There were so many times that I thought, "This is it. I'm done." But you get to a point of no return where going back would take longer than going forward. I'm not sure if reaching the summit was like Rocky running up to the top of the stairs but it was worth the effort just to see that I could do it.

No comments:
Post a Comment